Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I'm Back...

Wow, what a time. Big Hart Campground is gorgeous!! While we were there I did write a few posts which I will post. It was interesting having no internet or phone service while we were there but I finally let down and found a hill near the entrance of the Campground and found I could get email and call family to let them know we were still alive.

I did sketch but chose to read while we were there. Still shell shocked at actually moving and starting our adventure it was a really nice break!

Here is the first blog post I did in Georgia.

The Sea Trials Begin

Here we are in Georgia. Deep down in a valley, I think, at Big Hart Campground in Thomson,Ga.  No internet signal, no 4G. Note to self, find out how to get it while on the road and out of the way.

The slide came in!!! We were ready and excited to go. Our first stop I posted from my phone was in Brunswick. We will go back there for two days on our way back from South Carolina. We found quickly, and read on other’s blogs that heading out after a travel day is exhausting.  

It took about 4 hours of driving to arrive here from Brunswick as I traveled in the car behind the rig with Sammy and Lola who slept until the last 45 minutes of the trip.  Huge learning event at one red light was make sure I can see the signal. Roger turned on a red arrow and I was following close but never saw the signal go just green and almost went head first into on coming traffic.  Hellooooooo!!!!  From there on seemed like eternity to get to the parl but finally we arrived. Beautiful wooded area with the road winding down, down, down til we got to the gate.  

Big Hart Campground is a CEO Campground. The Corp Of Army Engineers. It is located on the J. Strom Thurmond Lake, 50 amp sites with water and beautifully views right on the lake.

The first night our slide did not open.  Sitting at the dinning table you could see we were not level so the next morning Roger backed up a bit then with me badly directing, (so need to work on those hand signals) pulled back down and forward. We have a level and put that on the dash and we found the perfect spot. The SLIDE OPENED!!!! With the kids we really need that extra room and we now have it!!!

The dogs love it!! Sammy, the anxious boy, is totally happy.   I use the Dazer II as a correction for pulling, as it’s worked for his barking already.  I have Lola and Sam on lead walking and since we have a 15 degree hill to walk up I’m grateful that they are pulling to start.  Flat Florida! I’m sore but getting stronger. :-)

I have found one push of the Dazer II and an “easy Sammy” correction works. He turns and comes back then walks with a loose lead. He hates the sound and seems to think it comes from space rather than me. I’m thrilled to finally have a boy to walk with!! He has also been good with seeing people. Lola still needs to “Talk” with them. She is so afraid of things. She barked furiously at a branch coming out of the lake til I pushed it with my foot. Her first people tied her up all day and kept her away from the other dog in the house. Or she was in a kennel or in a crate. Now she’s with the boys going on long walks and coming back home exhausted. (Another note to self is buy a good walking stick)

I’ll stop for now..more later…


Then one more for today...

Holy Moly A Storm

Yesterday, Saturday, we had our first storm here at the Campground. We could hear the thunder way off but suddenly the shore power went off.  (We heard today the storm was really bad in town and stuck a telephone pole which fell on a truck causing the electric in the area to go off til….2 am.)

Roger and I looked at each other and realized it was yet, a new learning experience. We also realized at our walk through we never really learned what to do. I guess everyone is already a experienced RV er.  We turned on the generator which gets the inverter up and going. Now we had to watch our amps. Roger was in the middle of making tomato soup with real tomato's when the generator tripped.  The lights were already turned off and we had our LED lights on.  He went out to find generator box switch and couldn’t find it. Out came the “Bible” . It told us to check the manual that comes with the coach.  Ah….what manual.?  He finally found it and it came back on only to go back off.  Was it our induction cook top? No tomato soup? After a few minutes of checking guages we discovered that our generator was recharging our batteries first. Whew. It’s all a learning curve and I did have tomato soup.

The storm came to us finally. Wow, I had forgetten how thunder sounds echoing off the hills. I caught the flash out the side of my eye as the lightning hit in the woods next to us. Holy Moly!!!! Lola went and hid in the bedroom and Ozzie hides under the over hang of the couch. Sammy slept. Roger and I played scrabble.  Another storm is do in this evening. The park host told us to run the generator all night if the electric goes out. Not a problem. We shut ours off at 10 P.M. last night according to the noise regulations here.  It wasn’t too bad with the windows open but at 2 A.M. when the electric came back on we did the sleepy happy dance!!

Tomorrow I am getting to work!!! Getting out of the “vacation” mode and starting the “this is our life” mode and I’m loving it!!!


We are now in Myrtle Beach with a Cummins (engine) repair guy under Ci Ci Blue. We have a leak in our coolant tank and he's taking it off to order a new one. On our way home we will go to the shop and they will installl it there. Poor guy is out there under the rig in the rain but at 110.00 an hour I guess that's what you do.

Yes I will be painting this week for sure. LOL...



  1. Glad to know that's the only problem and can be fixed... I am enjoying the rain with you. Pouring buckets here. Great blog posts....

  2. Thanks Lou and thanks for posting for me while I was incommunicato!!! xx

  3. Thanks Lou and Thank you for posting for me while I was in- communicato!!!